SAN RAFAEL, Calif., March 29, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Phoenix American, a full-service fund administration provider for alternative investment funds including DSTs, has published a new white paper examining the history, evolution and prospects for like-kind exchange investments on the 100th anniversary of the creation of the tax provision that made such exchanges possible. 1031 Turns 100: Industry Insights on the DST Market analyzes the development of the Delaware Statutory Trust, the investors and sponsors involved in these investment programs and offers perspectives from key industry participants.
The paper draws on Phoenix American’s observations as a fund administration provider, market data provided by Mountain Dell Consulting and contributions provided by Capital Square Realty Advisors, Inland Private Real Estate, Passco Companies and the Institute for Portfolio Alternatives (IPA).
Top takeaways from the report include an analysis of the performance of DSTs during the Covid-19 pandemic, how it compares to that of Tenancy-in-Common (TIC) investments during the Great Recession and what it indicates about the durability of the DST during economic downturns.
- The Typical DST Investor profiles the average participant currently exchanging into a DST and how that profile differs from popular perception.
- The Evolution of Exchange Investments looks at the origin of the like-kind exchange, the advent of TICs and the evolution of the DST based on lessons learned from the Great Recession.
- Considerations at the Federal Level discusses the outlook of the new Biden administration on Rule 1031and the likelihood of significant change to the like-kind exchange provision.
- Market Trends highlights the recovery of the 1031 investment market since the Great Recession, the new dominance of the DST and its practical distinctions from the TIC structure.
- Sponsor Landscape examines the sponsors, large and small, in the DST investment market.
- Perspective Spotlights provide analysis and perspective from one of the industry’s leading trade associations and two of the leading DST sponsors shedding light on the opportunities and threats the industry faces.
“Our clients are enjoying a lot of success with DSTs,” said Ned Montenecourt, Chief Compliance and Risk Officer for Phoenix American. “We’re happy to be able to share some of the perspective we’ve gained on this dynamic corner of the investment landscape.”
About Phoenix American
Phoenix American Financial Services provides full-service fund administration, fund accounting, transfer agent and investor services as well as sales and marketing reporting to fund sponsors in the alternative investment industry. The Phoenix American aircraft group provides managing agent and accounting services for securitizations specializing in the commercial aviation leasing industry. The company is a subsidiary of Phoenix American Incorporated along with Phoenix American SalesFocus Solutions, providers of the cloud-based MARS CRM, Sales and Marketing Reporting and Compliance Management solutions for banks, insurance companies, asset management firms and other financial service organizations. Phoenix American was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in San Rafael, CA.
For more information, contact Phoenix American at 1-866-895-5050 or visit www.phxa.com.
SOURCE Phoenix American Financial Services